When Can The State Recover Medi-Cal Payments?

If you die after having been on Medi-Cal, the state will want to recover from your estate. They will want to recover what they paid for your nursing home care while you were on Medi-Cal. If there is nothing in your estate when you die, there will have nothing in your estate for them to recover. That it why it is important for you to see an elder law attorney in order to get your “Ducks In A Row” for Medi-Cal qualification, and to avoid state recovery. For instance, if your home is in your estate when you die, the state can recover against it. If you have transferred your home out of your estate prior to your death, there can be no recovery against your home. If you have lost capacity, your fiduciary will not be able to transfer the home out of your estate without consideration, unless you have specialized language in your revocable living trust and financial durable power of attorney which provides for such a transfer without consideration. Most revocable living trusts and financial durable powers of attorney do not have the requisite language to make real estate and asset transfers, without consideration, if you lose capacity. Most revocable living trusts and financial powers of attorney provide only that a sale of assets can be made, for adequate consideration or fair market value. This language is not helpful for Medi-Cal qualification and state recovery.

The state cannot recover against your estate, after you have been on Medi-Cal, until you die. If you are survived by a spouse, the state claim is prohibited until the surviving spouse dies. But again, if there are no assets in your name when you die, if you were a Medi-Cal recipient, the state will not be able to pursue a claim against your spouse. If you are a Medi-Cal recipient who is survived by a minor child under the age of 21, the claim is barred against the state. Also, if  you are a Medi-Cal recipient who is survived by a disabled child of any age, the claim is barred against the state.

This information is not to be taken as legal advice, and you are encouraged to see your elder law attorney. At the Law Offices of Michael J. Young, at 1931 San Miguel Dr., Ste. 220, Walnut Creek, CA www.WalnutCreekElderLaw, 925-256-0298, lawyoung1@gmail.com we practice Elder Law and we help Baby Boomers, Seniors and families through their Elder Care Journey. We help families with long-term care planning, asset-protection plans, comprehensive estate planning, wills, trusts and powers of attorney. We also help Baby Boomers and families get their “Ducks in a Row” in order help them qualify for Medi-Cal and the VA Aid & Attendance Improved Pension benefit.

Powered by WordPress | Theme: Aeros 2.0 by TheBuckmaker.com