The Personal Residence Exclusion

When we are doing long term care planning with our clients, we often discuss the fact that if you sell your home during your life, you may have to pay tax on the capital gain. Capital Gain is the difference between the “basis” in the property, basically what you paid for it, and its selling price. The federal tax can be up to 15% of the gain, and there is a smaller tax to the state which is determined by your tax bracket. You may exclude up to $250,000 of gain on the sale of your personal residence. If you are married, you can exclude up to $500,000.  To qualify, you or your spouse must have lived in and owned the home for at least two out of the five years prior to the sale. When doing long term care planning, we also discuss methods under the IRS regulations, which may allow us to avoid capital gains.

This information is not to be taken as legal advice, and you are encouraged to see your elder law attorney. At the Law Offices of Michael J. Young, at 1931 San Miguel Dr., Ste. 220, Walnut Creek, CA www.WalnutCreekElderLaw, 925-256-0298, lawyoung1@gmail.com we practice Elder Law and we help Baby Boomers, Seniors and families through their Elder Care Journey. We help families with long-term care planning, asset-protection plans, comprehensive estate planning, wills, trusts and powers of attorney. We also help Baby Boomers and families get their “Ducks in a Row” in order help them qualify for Medi-Cal and the VA Aid & Attendance Improved Pension benefit.

No Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Powered by WordPress | Theme: Aeros 2.0 by TheBuckmaker.com