Consider A Joint Checking Account With Your Parents

Many older people insist on handling their own financial affairs without assistance, for as long as as possible. This is admirable, but what if something bad happens to the older person, like a medical event which lands the older person in the hospital, and ready access to cash is needed? And, what if the older person begins to lose capacity and starts to make bad decisions with their money?

For access to immediate cash, a child or other loved one should be a joint owner on a checking account with the older person. If the older person is hospitalized and indisposed for a period of time, the child will be able to take care of finances, and pay bills for their parent. If the older person starts to make bad financial decisions, or is the subject of fraud, the child could shut the account down.

The bank and financial accounts, except for IRAs, should be transferred to the revocable living trust of the older person, with a child or other person named as successor trustee. These transfers to the revocable living trust are completed through the bank or financial institution, and these trust assets are reflected on the schedules of assets attached to the revocable living trust. The trust is set up so that if the older person loses capacity, a doctor’s note is obtained, and the child can act as the new trustee to control the assets for the benefit of the parent.

But what if the parent refuses to cooperate and do any of these things? You should try to maintain a dialogue of communication with the parent, and try to stay informed about what is happening with his daily life. If the parent becomes unusually defensive when asked about his finances, this should be a red flag. At this point, a geriatric social worker may be able to help you communicate with your parent. If the estate plan and finances aren’t properly set up, and the parent loses mental capacity, a court conservatorship may be required for you to be able to gain control of the accounts. The earlier the estate plan and joint checking account is set up, the easier it will be for all concerned.

This information is not to be taken as legal advice, and you are encouraged to see your elder law attorney. At the Law Offices of Michael J. Young, at 1931 San Miguel Dr., Ste. 220, Walnut Creek, CA www.WalnutCreekElderLaw, 925-256-0298, we practice Elder Law and we help Baby Boomers, Seniors and families through their Elder Care Journey. We help families with long-term care planning, asset-protection plans, comprehensive estate planning, wills, trusts and powers of attorney. We also help Baby Boomers and families get their “Ducks in a Row” in order help them qualify for Medi-Cal and the VA Aid & Attendance Improved Pension benefit.

Written by mike in: Aid & Attendance Brentwood,Alzheimer's Care,Alzheimer's Medi-Cal,Asset Protection Attorney Walnut Creek,Baby Boomer Estate Planning,Baby Boomer Estate Planning,Brentwood Attorney Senior,Brentwood CA Asset Protection Attorney,Brentwood Elder Law,Brentwood Elder Law Atorney,Brentwood Elder Law Attorney,Brentwood Nursing Home Attorney,Brentwood Senior Law Attorney,Contra Costa Nursing Home Attorney,Elder Law Attorney Walnut Creek,Estate Planning for Baby Boomers,Hospice Care Walnut Creek,Medi-Cal Attorney Pleasant Hill CA,Medi-Cal Attorney Walnut Creek,Medi-Cal Attorney Walnut Creek CA,Medi-Cal Gifting Walnut Creek,Medi-Cal Planning & Qualification,Nursing Home Attorney Brentwood,Nursing Home Attorney Walnut Creek,Parkinson's disease Walnut Creek,Pay Nursing Home Care Walnut Creek,Pay for Cost of Long Term Care Walnut Creek,Pleasant Hill Elder Law Attorney,Pleasant Hill Senior Law Attorney,Probate Attorney Contra Costa County,Senior Law Attorney Walnut Creek,Special Needs Trusts,Sustainable Estate Planning Walnut Creek CA,Walnut Creek Elder Law,Walnut Creek Medi-Cal Qualification,elder law attorney Pleasant Hill,senior law walnut creek | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Powered by WordPress | Theme: Aeros 2.0 by