Medi-Cal Community Spouse Resource Allowance (CSRA) As of January 1, 2018

When one spouse applies for Medi-Cal, the state will look at the assets of both spouses for qualification of the ill spouse. As of January 1, 2018, the community spouse, also known as the “at-home” spouse, or the “well spouse”, may retain up to $123,600 in liquid assets. The ill spouse cannot have more than $2,000 in liquid assets in his or her name. The couple can also keep their home if the ill spouse confirms that he or she intends to return home. Assets held in revocable living trusts will be considered available, depending on the asset. Any non-exempt assets that the ill spouse has in his name, or jointly with his spouse, over the amount of $2,000, will be counted by Medi-Cal in determining eligibility. The state will want to know about all assets of both spouses, including savings, cash, stocks, etc. In addition, the cash surrender value of whole life insurance of the ill spouse cannot exceed $1500. If it does, you will want to transfer the excess cash to the well spouse. There is no ineligibility penalty for transfers between spouses. For Medi-Cal qualification, assets of the ill spouse are often transferred to the well spouse. Be sure that your revocable living trust and financial durable powers of attorney have the appropriate “transfer” and “gifting” language, in the event either of the spouses loses capacity. If incapacity sets in, and the appropriate language is not there, you may be prevented from making  transfers or gifts.There are of course more rules and regulations to consider, and this article is not exhaustive on the subject. Contact our office so that we may help you plan for qualification for Medi-Cal.

Michael J. Young

Elder Law and Asset Protection Attorney

Medi-Cal Attorney Walnut Creek

1931 San Miguel Dr. Ste., 220

Walnut Creek, CA 94596



The Personal Residence Exclusion

When we are doing long term care planning with our clients, we often discuss the fact that if you sell your home during your life, you may have to pay tax on the capital gain. Capital Gain is the difference between the “basis” in the property, basically what you paid for it, and its selling price. The federal tax can be up to 15% of the gain, and there is a smaller tax to the state which is determined by your tax bracket. You may exclude up to $250,000 of gain on the sale of your personal residence. If you are married, you can exclude up to $500,000.  To qualify, you or your spouse must have lived in and owned the home for at least two out of the five years prior to the sale. When doing long term care planning, we also discuss methods under the IRS regulations, which may allow us to avoid capital gains.

This information is not to be taken as legal advice, and you are encouraged to see your elder law attorney. At the Law Offices of Michael J. Young, at 1931 San Miguel Dr., Ste. 220, Walnut Creek, CA www.WalnutCreekElderLaw, 925-256-0298, lawyoung1@gmail.com we practice Elder Law and we help Baby Boomers, Seniors and families through their Elder Care Journey. We help families with long-term care planning, asset-protection plans, comprehensive estate planning, wills, trusts and powers of attorney. We also help Baby Boomers and families get their “Ducks in a Row” in order help them qualify for Medi-Cal and the VA Aid & Attendance Improved Pension benefit.

Powered by WordPress | Theme: Aeros 2.0 by TheBuckmaker.com