The Personal Representative of the Probate Estate

When a probate is filed, the court will appoint a Personal Representative of the estate. This personal representative will be identified in the court proceeding as the executor or administrator of the estate. This person will sign and file the various documents that will be required by the court through the course of the probate proceeding. If there is a will naming an executor, the court will most likely name that individual as the executor of the estate. If there is no will, then the surviving spouse, the children of the decedent, parents, etc., can petition the court to be named as the “Administrator With Will Annexed.” The term “administrator” is also used when a person dies without leaving a will which would name an executor. If the executor named in the will has died or cannot serve for some reason, the court will appoint an administrator. If a former spouse is named in the decedent’s will as the executor, and there has since been a divorce, Probate Code § 6122 prevents the former spouse from serving as executor.

This information is not to be taken as legal advice, and you are encouraged to see Michael J. Yung, your Walnut Creek Probate Attorney.

Michael J. Young

Walnut Creek Elder Law Probate Attorney

1931 San Miguel Dr. Ste., 220

Walnut Creek, CA 94596



Powered by WordPress | Theme: Aeros 2.0 by TheBuckmaker.com